Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Debates vs. Arguments (Writing Circle Reflection 1)

Today in my group's writing circle, we discussed everyone's blogs and critiqued them, but we also got into a few other discussions.  I feel that because my post was not much of an opinion on a topic, but rather just stating my reasons to become a teacher and why I chose the prop that I had for class last week, I did not receive many critiques.  Rather, people basically said that they enjoyed reading it and then everyone shared a brief summary of why they had decided to become teachers themselves.  Courtney had also mentioned that she liked the perspective that I had on math and how there are often more than one way to solve math problems.  I decided that I will need to come up with some deeper thoughts for my next blog so that it can create more of a discussion in my writing circle that it had today. 

Since this was about all of the feedback that I received today, I decided to talk a little about one of the discussions that we had during our writing circle today.  One discussion that we had came from Courtney's blog that had to do with two opposing parties and an argument that she had experienced personally.  During this conversation, we talked about the differences between and argument, in which people are fighting and not respecting one another's feelings, and a debate, in which people choose a side but are more respectful of one another.  I thought that this was an important discussion since people often get carried away with their side of a situation and forget to consider the other person's rights to have their own veiwpoint.  This is an important aspect in this class and is an important concept to be aware of in any situation.  As we talked about this, I reflected on times where I have been in a debate and tiems when I had been in an argument.  I realized as I thought about this that all of my memories of arguments gave me a bad feeling.  From this discussion, I decided that I will be more thoughtful about where other's may be coming from when I do not agree with what they are saying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment